About India States of India Hindi Literature Religion Art & Culture About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy

Pilibhit District Uttar Pradesh

Geography of Pilibhit History of Pilibhit Colony of Pilibhit Blocks of Pilibhit Panchayats of Pilibhit Villages of Pilibhit Ward Councilors of Pilibhit Cinema Halls in Pilibhit Doctors in Pilibhit Hospitals / Clinics in Pilibhit Schools in Pilibhit Colleges in Pilibhit Coaching Institutes in Pilibhit Hotels in Pilibhit Restaurants in Pilibhit Petrol Pumps in Pilibhit NGO in Pilibhit Famous Shops in Pilibhit

History of Pilibhit, Uttar Pradesh


The present town is of comparatively recent origin but there is still a village known as 'Old Pilibhit' standing on the left bank of the Khakra river about 5 Km. to the north-east near the road to Neoria. This village had always been occupied by the Banjaras of the Periya clan. It is supposed that Pilibhit is the corruption of Periya Bhit or the village mound of the Periyas and also that the name Pilibhit has beed derived from a yellow mud wall which once surrounded the district.


In 1801 when Rohilkhand was ceded to the British Pilibhit was a Pargana of The District Of Bareilly, which lost it in 1833, the arrangement being temporary and the tract being again united with Bareilly in 1841. In 1871 was formed the Pilibhit subdivision comprising Jahanabad, Pilibhit and Puranpur which was eventually converted into a seprate District in 1879. At the introduction of the British rule the parganas of Pilibhit, Jahanabad & Bisalpur was formed into seprate Tehsils. Puranpur was united for this purpose with Khutar. A redistribution of the area was effected in 1824, when the Bisalpur Tehsil contained the Parganas of Bisalpur and Maurari, which afterwards become a single area; Jahanabad was joined with Richha to form tehsil Pareva & Pilibhit with Bilheri, the HQ being at Pilibhit. In 1851 Bilheri and the other tarai pargana were taken under direct management and in 1863 Richha was attached to the new Baheri Tehsil, Pargana Jahanabad being assigned to Pilibhit which also received Puranpur on its transfer in 1865. The latter, in 1871, a became subtehsil dependent on Pilibhit. The promotion of Puranpur into a full Tehsil occurred in 1879, while Bisalpur throughout remained a seprate subdivision.Thus the area is now divided into three Tehsils and four Parganas. Puranpur & Bisalpur constituting individual Tehsils and Parganas & the Tehsil of Pilibhit comprising the paraganas of Pilibhit and Jahanabad.


Historical facts

It is believed by locals that Pilibhit was ruled by an ancient king named Mayurdhwaj or Moredhwaj or King Venu, a great devotee of lord Krishna and a loyal friend of Arjun. King Venu's name and the geography of his kingdom can be traced in the Hindu epic Mahabharat.

The city Pilibhit was an administrative unit in the Mughal era under Bareilly suba. For security, the Mughal subedar Ali Mohammed Khan constructed four magnificent gates around the administrative building in 1734 AD. These gates were named Barellwi darwaza at the west, Hussaini darwaza at the east, Jahanabadi darwaza at the north and Dakhini darwaza at the south. Because of a lack of proper maintenance, all the gates have been lost; only their ruins remain.

Pilibhit was invaded by the Marathas in 1772 AD. This was the time when the Kurmi Kshatriya community came into this region. The Marathas were the ancestors of the Kurmi Kshatriya community, one of the major communities in the region.The last king of the Shah dynasty of Nepal was sheltered in Pilibhit by the ruler of Rampur suba Faizullah Khan in 1789 AD, after being attacked by the Gorakha king of Nepal.

The freedom fighter Maulana Enayetulla, from Pilibhit, voluntarily played host to the exiled Queen of Avadh, Begum Hazrat Mahal, who reached Nepal in late 1859.

There is a memorial place at Khakra chouki (today's Police Center), where 21 freedom fighters were hanged on 14 January 1909, on the day of Makar Sankranti, who refused to follow British government's order and rebelled against them. In respect for these 21 martyrs, a rock (named All Martyrs) was underpinned in the compound of the police center.


Read more!