Lakhimpur Kheri, is a district of Uttar Pradesh in the Lucknow division. It is located in India along the border with Nepal. The headquarters of the District are situated in the city of Lakhimpur.
This district is a part of Lucknow division and is the largest district in terms of area in the state (Total Area = 7680 sqr km). According to Government of India, the district Lakhimpur Kheri is one of the Minority Concentrated District in India on the basis of the 2001 census data on population, socio-economic indicators and basic amenities indicators.
It is famous for Dudhwa National Park, the only national park in Uttar Pradesh. It is home to a large number of rare and endangered species including tiger, leopard, swamp deer, hispid hare, Bengal florican, etc.. Being a Terai district it is rich in natural resources with lush green scenery and many rivers.
Latitude : 27-6 to 28.6 (North) Longitude : 80.34 to 81.30 (East)
North – Nepal
West – Shahjahanpur & Pilibhit districts.
East – Behraich district.
South – Hardoi district
Total Area - 7680 sqr km.
Main Rivers - Sharda, Ghagra, Koriyala, Ull, Sarayan, Chauka, Gomati, Kathana, Saryu & Mohana.
Tahsils - Lakhimpur, Mohammdi, Gola, Nighasan, Dhaurahra, Palia
Several fairs and festivals take place in Lakhimpur. An annual Dussehra and Diwali funfair is organised at Mela Ground and is held over several days. An Eid fair is organised twice annually on the day of Eid in Kheri town.
Naseeruddin Memorial Hall -
The East India Company built Willoughby Memorial Hall in 1924 in memory of Sir Robert William Douglas Willoughby, Deputy Commissioner of Kheri who was killed on 26 August 1920. The colonial authorities apprehended independence activists Naseeruddin Mauzi Nagar and Rajnarayan Mishra on charges of shooting the Deputy Commissioner, and sentenced them to death by hanging. On 26 April 1936, Willoughby Memorial Library was established. The Willoughby Memorial Hall was recently renamed the Naseeruddin Memorial Hall.
Frog Temple -
The unique Frog Temple lies at Oel town, 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from Lakhimpur on the route from Lakhimpur to Sitapur. It is the only one of its kind in India based on Manduk Tantra. It was built by the former king of Oel State (Lakhimpur Kheri district) between 1860 and 1870. It is dedicated to Lord Shiva. This temple is built at the back of a large frog. The Temple is constructed within an octagonal lotus. The Shivling installed in the temple was brought from the Banasur Prati Narmdeshwar Narmada Kund. The main gate of the temple opens in the east and another gate is in the south. The architecture of this temple is based on Tantra Vidya.
It is the temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. The Gola Gokaran Nath is also called by the name "CHOTTI KASHI" It is the belief of the people that Loard Shiva pleased with the penance (Tapasya) of Rawana (King of Lanka) and offered for a boon.
Rawana requested the Lord Shiva to go to Lanka with him and leave Himalya forever. The Lord Shiva agreed to go with a condition that he should not be placed anywhere on the way to Lanka, if he will be placed anywhere, he will be settled at that place. Rawana agreed and started his journey to Lanka with the Lord on his head. When Rawana reached the Gola Gokaran Nath ( Gollihara of that time) he felt the need of urinate ( A call of nature). Rawana offered some gold coins to a shepherd for placing the Lord Shiva on his head till he returns. The shepherd could not bear the load and he placed him on the land. Rawana failed to lift him up by all his efforts. He pressed him on his head with his thumb in full anger. The impression of Rawana's Thumb is still present on the Shivling.
In the month of Chatra (April) a great fair is organised for one month known as "CHETI-MELA".
Dudhwa National Park -
75 Sqr KM forest area between Mohana and Suhaili river was declared as reserved forest in 1861.In 1977 Government declared 614 sqr KM area of district Kheri reserved as Dudwa National Park. Dudwa National Park is known as the Ist National Park of the state after formation of Uttrakhand.Another reserve area "Kishunpur Pashu Vihar" sanctuary located about 30 KM from Dudwa.Spread over about 204 sqr.km. , it lies on the banks of river Sharda and is surrounded by Sal forest of adjoining reserve forests.
In 1987 Dudwa National Park and Kishunpur Pashu Vihar was merged to form Dudwa Tiger Reserve (DTR). The Dudwa Tiger Reserve has total area of 818 sqr KM. It is home to a large number of rare and endangered species which includes Tiger, Leopard cat, Slath beer, rinosaurs (One horn), Hispid hare, Elephants, Black deer& Swamp deer etc.
90% of total rainfall lies between June to September that is why Dudwa Tiger Reserve remains closed from 15th June to 14th Nov. every year for the visitors. January is very cold and the average temperature remains between 9°C to 22°C with fogy nights. May and June remain very hot with maximum temperature 40°C to 43°C.
How to Reach
UPSRTC and private bus services are available between Palia, Lakhimpur, Shahjahanpur, Bareilly, Delhi etc. Between Dudwa and Palia frequent private bus services are available.
Nearest Railway Stations from Dudwa National Park
Dudwa - 4 km
Palia - 10 km
Mailani - 37 km
Bihar became the first state in India to have separate web page for every city and village in the state on its website www.brandbihar.com (Now www.brandbharat.com)
See the record in Limca Book of Records 2012 on Page No. 217