Historical Places in Bihar
Agam Kuan, Patna
Agam Kuan, the bottomless well, is an ancient relic of the Mauryan Emperor Ashok. located a little distance away from Ashoka's Charitable Hospital in the Kumrahar complex, Patna is this famous Ashokan remain, the Agam Kuan, which is believed to be a part of the legendary hall created by Ashoka.
Buddha Stupa, Vaishali
The two Buddha stupas in Vaishali Bihar are dedicated to lord Buddha were unearthed here that are said to contain sacred ashes.
Coronation Tank (Abhishek Pushkarni) Vaishali
Facing the Vaishali Museum is the good-looking lake known as the Coronation Tank or Abhishekh Pushkarni. Surrounded by flowering trees and shrubs, the water of the reservoir was assumed to be holy in the older days and all of Vaishali's selected representatives were anointed here, before their swearing in.
Vishal Fort, Vaishgali
Fort Vishal, one kilometer lengthy fort is said to have housed the parliament of those times. This fort is named after King Vishal. The fort was a element of the oldest democracy in the world. The construction of this fort is worth giving a look. Apart from the fort, the museum of Vaishali is worth visiting.
Golghar is one of the most outstanding architectural members of the British India. It, in a way, symbolizes the identity of Patna. It is build close to the Ganga in Bankipur locality of Patna. Captain John Garstin, an engineer employed by the East India Company, has the credit of its conception and construction. It was built in the year 1786. It was built at the request of the then proprietor, Warren Hastings. Bihar experienced severe draught that resulted in acute food shortage in the year 1770. Alarmed by the condition faced by the people, this massive granary was constructed for the British army.
The purpose of this huge circular structure with an imposing dome was to store grains in huge quantity. The impetus of its construction was the famine of 1770. But perhaps it was never put to this noble purpose.
Though it was one of the important buildings built by the British Engineer in British India, it has nothing Greeco-Roman with it. It, on the contrary, was inspired by the native Stupa architecture of the ancient Indian tradition. Raised on a 2' high plinth, the enormous dome, over a circular plan, raises well up to 96'. It creates a wonderful echo effect from inside. The walls, all brick masoned, with its width of 12'-4", are no less impressive. Two spiraling stairways, rising from the opposing sides, reach to the top, which has a small hole at the centre (2'-7"). The doors at the bottom of the dome, are placed on all the four cardinal directions, which opened originally from within. Two inscriptions, one in English and the other in Persian rendering are affixed adjacent to each other giving information about its construction.
Lauriya (district Champaran) contains, besides an inscribed Asokan Pillar, fifteen stupa-mounds. Four of them were excavated in 1904-07 and as two of them yielded a put down of burnt bones with charcoal and a gold leaf with a mother-goddess shape (akin to the one from Piprahwa), they were regarded by the excavator to be vedic burial tumuli.
Martyr's Memorial, Patna
Life-size statues in front of the aged secretariat compound have been put up in memory of seven brave young men who faced bullets for the freedom of the country and sacrificed their lives in August 1942 in the historic struggle for India's independence during "Quit India" movement.
The most famed and essential of the monuments at Munger is the fort, build on a rocky eminence projecting into the river Ganga which protects it from west and partly from the north, the extra sides being defended by a deep moat. the fort encloses an region of about 222 acres and has a route of 4 kms. It was construct during the time of the early, Mohammedan kings of India.
Raj Mahal is located on the eastern tassel of Bihar, on the western bank of river Ganga, Raja Maan Singh, the well-known 16th century Rajput common in Akbar's army, founded this city.
Rohtasgarh Fort 39 kms from Sasaram are the remains of Sher Shah Suri's Rohtasgarh fort, It now occupies a part of the plateau about 4 miles east to west and 5 miles north to south, 28 miles in circumference.
Vikramshila situated 252 kms from Patna, in the district of Bhagalpur, is the site of an ancient University, Vikramshila. The university was founded by king Dharmpala, in late 8th century AD. After prosperous for years, it was plundered by invaders around 1200 AD.